Proper Care and Cleaning
Oriental rugs are a beautiful and valuable addition to any home. They are made with high-quality materials and intricate craftsmanship, and they can last for generations with proper care. One of the most important aspects of caring for an oriental rug is regular cleaning.
Why is Cleaning Important?
There are several reasons why it is important to clean Oriental rugs regularly
- To remove dirt and debris: Dirt and debris can accumulate in the fibers of an oriental rug over time, making it look dull and dirty. With time, this can also effect the fibers of the rug, making it more susceptible to wear and tear.
- To prevent pests: Pests, such as moths and carpet beetles, love to live in Oriental rugs. These pests can damage the fibers of the rug and even eat holes in it.
- To improve indoor air quality: Dust and allergens can become trapped in the fibers of an Oriental rug. When the rug is vacuumed, these dust and allergens are released into the air. Regular cleaning can help to improve indoor air quality.
Vacuuming your Rugs at Home
- Ideally, you should vacuum your rugs once or more a month, if possible.
- Use a soft-bristled vacuum cleaner on the face of the pile. Take your time and allow the vacuum to do the work.
- Occasionally, it is helpful to vacuum the rug on both sides. to do so, turn the rug over after vacuuming the face. Use a vacuum cleaner with a beater bar and thoroughly beat the back of the rug. This will not damage the rug fibers, but it will loosen deeply-lodged dust and dirt from the interior of the carpet. You'll notice an accumulation of dirt on the floor when you remove the carpet. Vacuum this up as well.
- Turn the carpet back over, and vacuum the face again to lift any remaining loose dust and debris.
- If your rug has longer fringes, be sure to avoid vacuuming them, as the vacuum can easily damage them. Fringes can be cleaned separately by hand or with only suction from a vacuum.
Washing Your Rug at Home
Once every one to five years, we recommend washing your rugs. Consider how the rug is used and how much traffic is on it. Learning can be done at home. You'll need plenty of time, sufficient space, good drainage, and a great deal of water.
- Pick a beautiful summer day, take your rug outdoors, and lay it out on the driveway.
- First, vacuum the rug on both sides as described bove.
- Thoroughly soak the carpet with plenty of water. This will begin to loosen dirt that is deep in the body of the carpet.
- Use a mild detergent and dilute it in water. Any detergent that is suitable for human skin will work well on an oriental rug. Thoroughly scrub the carpet using a soft brush, working up a lather.
- Rinse the carpet thoroughly. This will require a great deal of water.
- Repeat the process on the reverse side as well. Repeat and clean the front again if necessary.
- Extract or squeegee as much of the water out of the rug.
- Hang the rug up to drip dry. This will require a sturdy structure and additional pairs of hands, as wet rugs of any kind can be extremely heavy.
- Allow the rug to dry completely. This will require at least one or two days.
- Vacuum the rug again on the front and back as described above, and return the rug to it's place in your home.
The Benefits of Professional Cleaning
There are many benefits to cleaning your Oriental rug regularly. These include:
- Some colors in rugs will run: A professional can check the dyes in the yarn and ensure the best possible care for your rug.
- Improving the appearance of the rug: Cleaning can help to restore the brightness, color, and vibrancy of your Oriental rug.
- Improving indoor air quality: Regular cleaning can help to improve indoor air quality by removing dust and allergens from the rug.
- Extending the life of the rug: Regular cleaning can help to extend the life of your Oriental rug by preventing damage to the fibers.
How We Clean Rugs
Our rug cleaning process is designed especially for oriental rugs. We are careful and thorough, with great attention to detail.
- Inspect the rug for appropriate cleaning method.
- We then begin with a thorough vacuuming of both the pile and the foundation of the carpet. This process is repeated until we are satisfied that the rug is ready for washing.
- We then fully soak and scrub the rug pile in a low-pH cleaning solution. This time-consuming process thoroughly washes both sides of the rug. This process also helps restores the natural luster to wool carpets.
- If necessary, this process is repeated.
- Stains are addressed with hand-scrubbing and extra attention. It is not always possible to completely eliminate stains, but we can almost always minimize their appearance.
- We apply a gentle deodorant to the rug as a standard part of our cleaning service. For rugs with pet, smoke, or additional odors, we apply a secondary deodorization process.
- After washing, we extract as much water as possible from the rug before hanging the rugs to dry thoroughly. We use industrial-scale fans to move air across the carpets to minimize drying time.
- When the rug is dry, we do a final vacuuming, then prepare the carpet for short-term storage until you come to review and retrieve it.
- Finally, we'll give the rug a final inspection to ensure your rug has been thoughtful cleaned.
Getting your rug professionally cleaned is straightforward, and we strive to make the process as rapid and painless as possible You can choose to:
- Stop by: You can stop in at our showroom during business hours. We'll help you unload the rug from your vehicle.
- Schedule a pickup: If you prefer that we do the heavy lifting, Oriental Rug Mart offers white-glove pickup and delivery service for a reasonable fee.
In both cases:
- We'll carefully measure and assess the rug for any potential issues. Most repairs are done after washing, but occasionally it is necessary to recommend a repair prior to a professional washing.
- Professional washing typically requires 1-2 weeks. Repairs require additional time. We'll contact you when the rug is ready for pickup, and we'll keep you abreast of the repair process if needed.
Professional Dry and Wet Cleaning: $2.75 per square foot.
Minimum charge: $35 per rug.
- Moth Infestation Removal: $0.50 per square foot.
- Stain Removal: Additional $0.50 per square foot.
- Silk Rugs: Additional $0.50 per square foot.
- Tufted Rugs: Additional $0.50 per square foot.
- Oversized Rugs: Additional $0.50 per square foot. Note: Oversized rugs are 11' in width or wider, or 15' in length or longer, or both.
- Additional Fringe Cleaning: $10-$60 per rug.
It is not uncommon for our customers to have their rugs cleaned just prior to leaving on a trip. For that reason, Oriental Rug Mart offers short-term storage of cleaned and/or repaired rugs for a period of up to three weeks from the completion date of the work at no additional charge.
After the three-week period elapses, there will be a weekly storage charge until the customer retrieves the rugs or schedules a delivery.
These listed costs are provided as quotations and are subject to change. In the event of a substantial cost adjustment, the customer will be notified prior to proceeding. Please note that, while rare, a variance of up to 25% is approved before initiating the work.